This is the dish that made me like lima beans.
The deep flavors that develop after cooking for 1 hour and 15 minutes combined with the texture of the beans along with the onion and tomatoes, make this dish a stand-out not just as a side dish but to eat as a main.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2, 16-oz bags frozen lima beans, defrosted
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1, 14.5-oz can chopped tomatoes*
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cavendar’s Greek seasoning
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add lima beans. Cook for 5 min stirring occasionally.
- Add rest of ingredients, stir well.
- Bring to a boil. Cook on low heat for 75 minutes, until lima beans are cooked through.
*I sometimes like to run these through the food processor to chop the tomatoes up more finely.