This lentil soup is healthy and packs so much flavor!
I love the hint of lemon, it makes the Indian spices feel light.
It’s a great source of protein, and freezes well.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 28oz can whole peeled potatoes, squeezed and chopped in food processor *
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (+ more to taste)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 medium lemon)
- Heat olive oil in large pot, sauté onion and carrot until soft, around 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, curry powder, thyme. Stir until fragrant, around 1 minute.
- Pour in tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in lentils, broth, water, salt, pepper flakes. Season generously with black pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Partially cover with lid and simmer on medium/low for 25-30 minutes.
- Use immersion blender to blend some of the soup. This thickens the texture.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice. Try soup, and adjust salt and pepper.
* You can use a can of chopped tomatoes as well.