This recipe came out of necessity. I wanted to make my Chicken with Red Wine Sauce, but quickly discovered, I had no wine…or olives. What I did have was tomatoes and red peppers.
Since I had larger cans of tomato sauce, I evolved the recipe to be more stew-based. And it turned out really yummy! Perfect for a cool, cloudy day. I’ll be making this again.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- ½ – 1 ½ cups olive oil (depends on preference)*
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 red peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce*
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes*
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Cavendar’s Greek Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pour olive oil into large pot. Brown chicken in olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Stir in peppers, onions, olives.
- Add rest of ingredients.
- Cook on medium/low for 60-90 minutes.
• Olive oil: Greeks love cooking with olive oil. You can absolutely lessen this— just ensure that the base of your pot is well coated with olive oil. • Tomato sauce: if you only have a larger can of tomato sauce, that’s ok! Add it in! • Diced tomatoes: same as the tomato sauce, if you only have a larger can, add it in! • Chicken broth: can substitute with water.